Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Gunung Belumut, 1010m

Be "Baptised by Belumut", as one of my friends would loudly exclaim. Legend has it that Belumut is "siong" for she had to suffer from the side effects of a delicious "big bao" as we were were hiking up IN THE NIGHT, with HEAVY PACKS and incessant RAIN, which ultimately left us WET and HEAVY throughout the whole trip, suffering from extreme DEPRESSION and LOW MORALE on a New Years Day when the whole world was counting down. I was there. Mention Belumut, we will all curse and swear.

For the first time, I slept on a bed before the start of a hiking trip. The verdict? I prefer the open space for I spent half the night sniffing away. For the first time, in a long time, the weather was good. For the first time, in a long time, I returned with a lighter pack. For the first time, I slept at a height of 900m. For the first time, in a long time, I had clear unobstructed view of the dark and beautiful night skies. There were so many "things" moving in the sky. It's amazing. This is really my only wish. And I was granted my wish. :)

It was a mad rush to reach the train station at 830pm after work in exchange for NOT carrying a 50+10L to work. I arrived in grandeur as I alighted from the London cab at the old Tangjong Pagar Train Station. The train was more than punctual. Started almost on time and I found myself at Kluang close to midnight. Trip leader says, we will go and look for a hotel. I thought he was kidding. Do you mean, sleep outside the hotel? I jokingly asked. We really spent the night at the 'hotel' after a more than sumptous supper.

Daybreak and simple breakfast at the KPT. We bought out return bus tickets and were well on our way to Gunung Belumut in our 3 by 3s. The hiking started at 945am, stopping along the way for lunch and to rest. Belumut starts with a relatively easy terrain which gradually became steeper and the air, more chilly.

For a height almost that of Ophir which most beginner/easy hikers take 2 days to summit (witchling, now you know why Ophir is siong), we had to summit in a day, naturally, the terrain is steep. It started to rain slightly in the early afternoon. Thankfully, the rain stopped and the sky cleared but the cold wind remained. We had our chicken rice and watercress soup dinner.

It's 9pm. The good news came, the stars are out! We decided to take an easy 5-min walk to Botak Hill, original campsite if not for the stupid rain. Along the way, we caught a glimpse of the city view illuminated by the crescent moon. What a view! We has a clear 360-degree, unobstructed view of the night sky on the highest point of Kluang. We saw SHOOTING! There's really nothing fascinating about shooting stars, but in all its rarity, its hard not to be excited. I must have made FH quite mad, cos he didn't manage to catch any of the shooting stars we gals did. Don't worry, there will always be a next time.

It's so dark we saw so much more. You would never have known there were so many moving objects in the sky. 9 people on a "romantic" night like this, imagination starts running wild as we imagined ourselves to be lying on the landing pad of some alien spaceship, imagining there were UFOs in the sky. The cold gradually became unbearable in our minimum warm clothing. We took in the last of the night sky and finished up our freshly prepared longan, luo han guo dessert and headed back.

For the amount of time we took to summit, we took about 2 hours to descend. Quickly washed up, quickly went to town and quickly wolved down our lunch at a Chinese restaurant and headed home. Lunch was a simple affair but very delicious. You can tell they take pride in their cooking, compared to Singapore (when I sometimes think I cook better).

Posted by LiTTle-FooT at 12:45 AM with 0 comments